Carlos David Navarrete received his Ph.D. in 2004 in Biological Anthropology from UCLA. He held postdoctoral positions in psychology at UCLA and at Harvard and is currently an assistant professor in social psychology at Michigan State University. His research on the psychology of prejudice integrates theory and methods from across several disciplines, including social psychology, economics, and evolutionary biology. His research explores the interface between disgust, morality and intergroup attitudes.
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Ethics and Morality
- Evolution and Genetics
- Gender Psychology
- Group Processes
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Intergroup Relations
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Political Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
Research Group or Laboratory:
- McDonald, M., Asher, B., Kerr, N., & Navarrete, C.D. (2011). Fertility and intergroup bias in racial and in minimal group contexts: Evidence for shared architecture. Psychological Science, 22(7): 860-865.
- McDonald, M., Navarrete, C.D., & van Vugt, M. (2012). Evolution and the psychology of intergroup conflict: The “warrior male” hypothesis. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 367(1589): 670-679.
- Navarrete, C. D., Fessler, D., Fleischman, D., & Geyer, J. (2009). Race bias tracks conception risk across the menstrual cycle. Psychological Science.
- Navarrete, C. D., & Fessler, D. M. T. (2007). Disease avoidance and ethnocentrism: The effects of disease vulnerability and disgust sensitivity on intergroup attitudes. Evolution and Human Behavior.
- Navarrete, C. D., Fessler, D. M. T., & Seng, S. J. (2007). Elevated ethnocentrism in the first trimester of pregnancy. Evolution and Human Behavior, 28, 60-65.
- Navarrete, C. D., Kurzban, R., Fessler, D. M. T, & Kirkpatrick, L. (2004). Anxiety and intergroup bias: Terror-management or coalitional psychology? Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 7(4), 370-397.
- Navarrete, C.D., McDonald, M., Molina, L., Sidanius, J. (2010). Prejudice at the nexus of race and gender: An outgroup male target hypothesis. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology. 98(6): 933-45.
- Navarrete, C.D., McDonald, M., Mott, M., & Asher, B. (2012). Virtual morality: Emotion and action in a simulated 3-D “trolley problem.” Emotion. 12(2): 364-70.
- Navarrete, C.D., Mott, M., Cesario, J., McDonald, M., & Sapolsky, R. (2010). Fertility and race perception predict voter preference for Barack Obama. Evolution & Human Behavior. 31(6): 391-99
- Navarrete, C. D., Olsson, A., Ho, A., Mendes, W., Thomsen, L., & Sidanius, J. (2009). Fear extinction to an out-group face: The role of target gender. Psychological Science, 20(2), 155-158.
Carlos David Navarrete
Department of Psychology
247 Psychology Building
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1116
- Phone: (517) 432-8391